Saturday 25 June 2011

Talking Books!


I had a familiar nightmare last night - the one where I'm about to go on stage and perform in a play and I suddenly realise I haven't learnt my lines.

When you think that I haven't acted on stage since I was at school, which must be... er, let's say well over 30 years ago now... that must say something about the human brain (perhaps that it's pretty stupid, at least in my case!)

But the thing is - I am about to perform and I do need to learn my lines - help help help! Because on Thursday 30th June I'm taking part in an event hosted by Coventry Central Library, called Talking Books! Ann Evans, another Coventry author who has had many books published both for children and adults, and I will be giving short presentations about our new books.

Hers, a Children's History of Coventry, is a wonderful book about the city's past, and it's being enjoyed by adults as well as children.

Mine, Coping with Chloe, is aimed at age 11+ and it, too, seems to be going down well both with the target age group and with somewhat older folk.

The thing that really thrills me, though, is that four students from King Henry VIII school in Coventry are going to read extracts (in costume!) and perform excerpts from our books. For me, to hear my words brought to life by young actors is an amazing experience. These are four very talented youngsters and I'm sure they will do very well. We're also having food and wine - and there may be one or two surprise visitors.

So all that remains for me to do is learn my lines and make sure my nightmare doesn't come true.

If anyone reading this would like to come to the event, please let me know. Tickets are available, free, from the library or from myself or Ann. The event is from 6-8pm on Thursday 30th June at Coventry Central Library, in the balcony area.

2 comments:

Celia said...

I have that dream too! And one where I'm in a maths exam and can't do it ... I absolutely LOVED 'Coping with Chloe' and I'm well over the 'age range' for its readership. You'll be fine. You just wing it and be your enthusiastic self and it'll be all right on the night!

Rosalie Warren said...

Thanks, Celia. Glad I'm not the only one to have that dream. And yes, I have exam ones too.

So glad you liked Chloe. I'll do my best!